Independent Living Retreat
The Independent Living Retreat is a weekend-long retreat for adults 18 & up held at Xavier University. The retreat focuses on community service, learning new skills, making friendships and gaining independence.
- The first night (Friday) is a 'networking night', so attendees can get to know one another and the facility. They will review proper dinner ettiquete and practice at a formal dinner.
- Saturday morning - the group heads around town for various community service projects. This teaches the importance of giving back and builds confidence.
- Saturday afternoon - the group attends classes to learn new skills. Classes include money management, healthy eating, character strengths, communication, cooking and relationships.
- Saturday evening - the group gets to socialize off-campus. Social events include dancing on fountain square, a Reds game, pottery, bowling and more!
- Sunday morning - we pack our bags & review what we've learned over the weekend.
- Participant must be age 18 or older and priority registration will be given to individuals that live in the Greater Cincinnati area and have Down syndrome. Event registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis.There are 2 background checked volunteers per 4 retreat attendees. We allow up to 30 retreat attendees per year.
Registration Opens in March
I would like to be more independent and live on my own.
- Ryan Duggan, ILR participant