DSAGC Legacy Society
What is the DSAGC Legacy Society?
The DSAGC Legacy Society is comprised of a group of committed supporters who are investing in the future of people with Down syndrome. These individuals and families have informed us of their intention to include the Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati (DSAGC) in their estate plans.
Planned giving allows you to express your personal values by integrating your charitable, personal, and family financial goals to enhance your philanthropy and impact a qualified nonprofit organization.
By including the DSAGC in your gift planning, you will have the opportunity to make a lasting investment in the promising future of individuals with Down syndrome. Through your legacy, you are sharing in the mission to serve both individuals with Down syndrome and the families of tomorrow.
How Do I Make a Legacy Gift to the DSAGC?
Including a gift to the DSAGC in your will provides essential resources that will shape the future of the DSAGC and ensure that we can fulfill our mission and vision for generations to come.
Three common options* for leaving a gift to the DSAGC include:
- Bequest: The simplest and most frequent planned gift is a transfer of assets (cash, stock or bonds) to a nonprofit organization. An individual can specify a dollar amount or percentage to donate to the organization.
To make a bequest to the DSAGC, here is sample language you can use:
“I give, devise, and bequeath to the Down Syndrome Association of Greater Cincinnati, 4623 Wesley Ave., Suite A, Cincinnati, OH 45212 the sum of $_________ (or otherwise describe the gift or specify a percentage of the residue of my estate) to be used for its general purposes.”
- Beneficiary of a “Special Needs Trust”: Many families who have a loved one with Down syndrome will establish a “special needs trust” as a way to provide for their future. Families may select the DSAGC as the beneficiary of any remaining assets after the passing of their loved one. This serves as a way to both honor their child’s legacy and give back to future generations of children served by the DSAGC.
- Beneficiary Designation of Retirement Fund, IRA, etc: Another easy way to make a planned gift is to name the DSAGC as a beneficiary of certain types of assets, i.e., life insurance plan, IRA, 401K, 403B, or another retirement instrument. Leaving retirement assets to a charity as part of an estate plan can result in significant tax advantages, while also positively impacting the nonprofit of your choice. The amount can be a lump sum or a percentage.
Whatever your intentions are with regard to making a planned gift to the DSAGC, it is important that you consult an estate planning professional, such as a lawyer, tax accountant or financial planner. This is important so that you can communicate with them your desires and maximize the tax benefits available to you. They will be able to assist you in reviewing your unique circumstances and goals.
*There are many options for supporting the DSAGC through your estate plans. We encourage you to discuss the best options for you with a financial planner and/or lawyer who can review your unique circumstances and goals.
How Does a Legacy Gift Help the DSAGC?
In order for the DSAGC to be a long-lasting organization for decades to come, we must diversify our funding streams. Even though we host the largest Buddy Walk in the country and our Golf Outing has decades of success behind it, it is critically important that we start thinking beyond today’s funding needs.
The DSAGC Legacy Society encourages individuals and families to make an investment in our future. You can designate a gift from your will any way you choose, using one of two basic options:
- 321 Endowment Fund: The endowment is a long-term investment fund which will ensure our ongoing financial sustainability.
- Unrestricted Program Support: An unrestricted gift allows the DSAGC to utilize the funds for the overall mission and to support the organization’s greatest need. If all of the organization’s funding needs are met at the time that an unrestricted program gift is received it will be placed in the endowment fund to be used for future needs.
I Want to Give!
When you include the DSAGC in your will, you are leaving a legacy of generosity that will last for generations to come. You will impact the lives of countless individuals with Down syndrome and their families. We are grateful for your consideration.
Your gift, no matter what size, type or for what purpose, makes you eligible for The DSAGC Legacy Society. Membership helps us acknowledge and express appreciation for your generosity. Legacy Society members also inspire others who may be considering a bequest or beneficiary designation themselves which, in turn, helps us build a long-lasting and stable future for the DSAGC.
The best way to inform the DSAGC that you have included our organization in your estate plans is to fill out a Letter of Intent form. This form will allow you to specify how you would like your gift to be used and how you prefer to be recognized.
If you have any questions pertaining to the DSAGC’s Legacy Society, please contact Kari Kester, our Donor Relations Manager. Email Kari
How Does My Gift Make a Difference?
All legacy gifts make a lasting impact on the lives of people with Down syndrome and their families. They help fulfill the vision of the DSAGC to create a community that embraces, supports and inspires people with Down syndrome to live healthy, self-determined and fulfilling lives.
If you select for Unrestricted Program Support your gift to be used to support programming for people with Down syndrome and their families within the year that it is given.* This may including any of the following:
- Hosting Empowerment Classes for people with Down syndrome to learn new skills and build friendships,
- Offering workshop for parents to learn new ways to support their loved one
- Educating medical professional about Down syndrome and how to effectively deliver a diagnosis
- Providing individualized support to parents and caregivers across the lifespan as they navigate life with their loved one
Designating you gift to the 321 Endowment Fund allows your donation to be used for many years to come. Your gift will be placed in a long-term investment fund that will ensure the organizations ongoing financial sustainability. You will help the DSAGC continue to meet the most pressing needs of the community we serve and provide a solid foundation for its continued growth.